Therefore if anyone is in Christ, [is like a butterfly] he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new

Monday 22 February 2010

In China God showed me how to trust Him

First of all, I am not in China - I am still in Sussex in the computer lab. However, I did want to share a dream I had last night.
I will make it short and snappy too, because first off you don't like to read, and second I have an essay due by Thursday.

Dream:

I dreamt that I was in China, and there was war all around me.  I needed to get into safety because I was walking on the enemies territory.  So, I boarded a military truck which was transporting soldiers over the land. I hid in the truck and waited for my time to jump off. I was so scared because I was right in the enemies midst.  Eventually, I sought  the courage to jump off the moving vehicle and I landed. Well, I tumbled and fell flat on my face.
Anyway, I got up off the ground and dusted myself off. Looking around I found that I jumped off into a landmine. There were explosives all around me. If I made one false move I was dead.  Suddenly a soldier appeared with heavy weaponry and started shouting to me in Chinese. I couldn't understand a word he was saying (sorry I haven't been trained to dream in Mandarin).  In spite of all this, I could tell the soldier was concerned for my well being. He was pointing and speaking in Chinese, trying to tell me how to avoid the mines and the path I should go on.
As I jotted this down in my journal this morning, scriptures came to my mind :
Psalm 32:8 I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you and watch over you.
Isaiah 30:21 Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, "This is the way; walk in it."

I couldn't understand what this guy was saying. Which way? What should I do? I knew I had to get clarity if not I will be blown to smitherines.
All of sudden, a little girl and boy came hopping through the landmine. They were skipping and laughing, dodging and weaving the bombs. They seemed so care-free despite playing amongst death.
The solider in his sterness told the children to take my hand and lead me through the mines. So they did.
I followed them.
I saw a path which was clearly marked and seemed safe. I told the children that it may be safer to take this path, rather than skipping and hopping over land mines.
Proverbs 3: 5-6 Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;
 in all your ways acknowledge him,  and he will direct your paths.
Proverbs: 14:12 There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death.
If I had followed the path which looked right and clear to me, my life would have been over.

The children knew better, so we continued leaping and skipping over the landmine.
Just like in Song of Songs when the King is asking His spouse to skip over the mountains and to come away with Him.

Finally we came to safety . There is more to the dream but I will save that for my journal. However, there is something so profound about this dream.
You see, the night before I had been praying to God to make clear His will concerning my life . I had tried to figure it out for myself but it only caused me to become frustrated and agitated.
I've actually been a little apprehensive about praying to God due to fear of disappointment or praying for the wrong thing.
The dream showed me a few things. a) The soldier I believed represented the voice of God- before we hear God we need to know Him. I wasn't familiar with Chinese and couldn't understand. I could only pick up a few things of what he was saying. That reflects some of our lives today. We can't really tune into the voice of God because we are not familiar with His "language".
b) But God being ever merciful, sent help. The children I believe represented the faith I should have. Faith like a child. In the midst of uncertainty, and trails - I need to have faith like children. These children were so care-free in the midst of the landmine.
c) I have rational thoughts- there are directions in my life which seem clear and easy but will only lead to my destruction. Sometimes, I need to have faith in God rather than trusting my own instincts.
d) Having faith like a child will bring me to safety.



No comments: