Therefore if anyone is in Christ, [is like a butterfly] he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new

Friday 23 April 2010

Are Single Christian Women settling for less?

Recently, I've been discovering who I really  am. Determining my likes and dislikes, what type of clothing I prefer to wear , right up to my political party. I officially changed my facebook political status. Yes, my secret is out, I am no longer swinging to the Left but I am opting for the Conservative Party. Sorry fellow Sussexinites, I have turned my back on Liberalism.
Another thing that I have been thinking about is the plight of Single Christian Women in today's 21st Century. As time goes on, and the wiser I get I have begun to question my surroundings.
Are we young women settling for less than God's best in exchange for marriage?  Marriage is awesome and I cannot wait to tie the knot someday. However,  I have started to question my motives. The other day I had a conversation with my good friend Marie regarding her current relationship status with her beau. They've been going strong for a good while now and marriage is definetly a hot topic for them. I love Marie to pieces but she made a comment the other day which I had to strongly disagree with. It was just general banter about life, family and the topic soon switched over to marriage.  Marie quite openly told me that her desire for the future was thus : "All I want to do is serve my husband to be. I don't care about anything else".  Marie is fine with me sharing this. We are cool like that...
However, Marie never pursued higher education. I am not saying without education you are screwed, no I know many people who forfeited going to university in pursuit of something else and were quite succesful. Nevertheless, if you are like Marie your story may not end up like that.  So many of us (including myself) can become so disgruntled with our single situation as single christian women, so many of us are 18, 19, 20, 21 not  60!  I am 22  and science tends to prove that women reach their fertility height at 23!  No wonder so many young women out there are pulling their hair out because at 15 Mr Right hasn't come along yet.

What's my point here?  We seem to stop living before we get married. We think that life begins when the "I do's" are said.  I THINK THAT! But God needs to be our all in all. I know it's hard because sometimes you feel like an outcast in church because singleness is not easily welcomed. Yet God is working in our singleness.  Personally, and I am sure I can speak on behalf of a lot of my friends in Sussex that God has put each and everyone of us to use in our time as single ladies. Don't stop enjoying yourself because no suitable suitor has come to ask for your hand in marriage. Fellow college ladies, ask God what He wants to do with you in your college, and ignore the lies that the enemy whispers to you about universit not being a place for christian women.  I am speaking to myself too. I have a desire to become the missing "rib" of one young, handsome man one day. I mean constantly I am praying for Channing Tatum to become saved, partly because I want to marry him but my life doesn't end there. I need to find my happiness NOW! In the Lord. I have spent too long stuck in the future and I have missed a substantial part of the Lord's doing in my single life. I don't want to do it again. Yes, wait patiently  on the Lord in faith and He will bring the right one along. But it also says faith without works is dead. So stop moping around all sad and depressed, get an education and pursue God in it. He hasn't finished with us young ladies yet. Settle only for God's best

2 comments:

Mia said...

This is SO GOOD, Bev!
You've done a fantastic job explaining this topic, and I hope to do a similar post soon...however you've encouraged me in "getting my thoughts together" so I appreciate it!!

In Christ,
Mia

Merana Leigh said...

WOW - I can only say SOOOO much here! Being that I'm older, oh my gosh, dare I say it??? - YES,WITH AGE DOES COME WISDOM (that hopefully I can impart upon you & your young friends!)!!!! I've made the mistake of marrying because I felt I was running out of time/everyone else was/I was lonely/I was SOOO in love. He was never home & we divorced 3 years later. And I've made the mistake of marrying again without EVER listening to that still small voice warning me otherwise. It was a very verbally & emotionally abusive marriage after the kids came b/c he was no longer the "baby", but had to share me. That one took a LONG time to get out of & MANY MANY years to recuperate from. Hindsight is ALWAYS 20/20. Wish I'd listened to the Lord back then. Never would have gone there. BUT, I'm listening now!!! TRUST me when I say, DON'T EVER DO MARRIAGE UNLESS GOD IS IN IT!!! And trust me, men are even WORSE when they are in their 40's & 50's - (I thought they grew out of that hormonal "I gotta get some" crap). I have YET to find a decent man to even DATE, much less form a relationship with. So...I just gave up. Actually, it's part of my SURRENDERING that to the Lord. It's funny b/c I SOOOO relate to wanting to return as someone's rib. I've had this feeling that I want to be Eve to the Adam God made me from. But, that's just it...I have to quit trying to find him. If he is truly our Adam, God will bring him to our life. ALWAYS REMEMBER THAT!! Stay true to the righteousness of God!