Therefore if anyone is in Christ, [is like a butterfly] he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new

Wednesday 24 March 2010

Why Women Need to be Educated.

I enjoy watching documentaries concerning the lives of  women, especially in it's global context.  I just finished watching one, and it broke my heart. It actually convicted me. A girl who is my age, left Afganistan  almost two decades ago in order live a safer life in London. She now returns to see what Afghanistan is like. Yes, the country has improved but people's hearts are broken. Women are heavily discriminated against. They face death almost every day. It made me look at my own life.

It's so funny, when I look back on my own life. I wanted to get married young, Law School was just an obstacle which blocked my way from the nuclear family I always dreamed of.  I wanted it to be over and done with. I felt that if I was just married my life would be complete.  I had almost a subservient attitude towards relationships.
I may lose my audience when I write this, but this is my blog so I am entitled to write what I want according to Article 12 of the Human Rights Act 1998. Well, to an extent at least...

Anyway where was I? I knew that I knew that I knew God had a purpose for my life. If I tried to fight it in order to be like my friends, then I was waging a losing war. God had a hold of my life. I was to go to Law School for three things:

1) My education was not for myself. It was for the improvement of society. I have a heart for children living  in poverty. Why? Because I know what it's like to be dirt poor. I mean dirt poor. Nobody would have thought I of all people could get a degree. I graduate Law School next year, and want to finish with a 1st class. Not for myself, but rather so that I can pass on the legacy to the girl or boy who believes their circumstances dictate their lives.  I never saw it from that point of view, I just wanted to be married and settled down. Oh but the Lord in Heaven had a different agenda.
Do you know if you ask any girl in Afghanistan why they want to be educated, they most probably will give you the same response? "I want to get an education to improve my country?" These are 15 year old girls saying this. Who may have just escaped marriage by the skin of their teeth.
These girls carry there book bags and pencils to school, in FEAR. They don't know if they are going to come back home alive due to Taliban attacks on their schools.  Imagine, you set off for school like any other British kid, but you come home with one leg blown off. In Afghanistan education for women is a privilege not a right.

2) My children. When I write essays, no matter how boring and tedious they can be I think of my children. I want these children to know "Mama did it".  I want them to know that all things are possible. I want my children to know that they have a role to play as leaders of the next generation. I don't care if my daughters decide to become stay-at home mums, as long as they are passing on to my grandchildren a Godly and fruitful academic education.

3)  This is the most imporant of them all. I am studying in order to give GLORY TO MY LORD. My life is a testimony to the goodness of Jesus. I knew how my admission came about and I certainly had nothing to do it with it. However, my life I owe Him. My education I completely owe to Him. If the Lord permits that I stay at home and homeschool my children, 'yes and amen.' For I know His glory will still be revealed.

For a long time I found it hard to get out of my head that education was bad. I went through a phase where I felt I was exalting myself above God if I acquired knowledge. This was only due to my lack of revelation and understanding.  I felt if I did the bear minimum with my life such as not aspiring to earn a decent salary, or get a Ph.D in metaphysics then I would be in the will of God.  I got it all wrong. I never new that with a decent salarly, I could bless missionaries in Afghanistan who could help these young girls. 
I'm not the Chizor you used to know. Yes, I still want to get married and have kids but it doesn't end there for me. Yes, I may offend some people. This isn't my intention but only to share truth.  Women, we need to educate ourselves.  Let's stop being selfish and educate ourselves for the Lord and allow Him then to move.
My eyes were opened when I saw so many of my friends getting married so young without giving education a second glance. My eyes opened when I saw my friends having nervous breakdowns when relationships ended and their 10 year life plan failed. I knew there had to be more to life than this. I've been there and I cannot judge.However, one can learn from others mistakes.  Please do not take this as a feminist manifesto, I am as anti-feminist as they come.  Nevertheless, I do want to encourage you not to hold back and ignore that still small voice that is telling you to go 'ahead and jump out in faith'. The Lord will provide and lead you.
 

I have attached the link to the program I watched. I hope it blesses someone.

Click here to watch!

2 comments:

ZOE said...

Halo.
Great message. Thanks alot. I find it especially hard to find God in my education, to see him in it, I just feel like its a different sphere of life. But yes He is so present in our education and He has great plans for those who pursue knowledge. I just pray that everyday we'll all see God in our schools and universities and not take education for granted.
Thx.

Ndidi Sola said...

Thanks for leaving feedback. I attend the 1st aethist University in the U.K so the name of Jesus is almost like a byword. However, God has done amazing things on campus. No matter what we do, at school, home, single or marriage we MUST ask God to have mercy and show us His will in all situations.
The more He shows us His will in education the more I believe we will be thankful. Even if we finish studying to become a housewife. Still be thankful
xxxx