Therefore if anyone is in Christ, [is like a butterfly] he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new

Sunday 17 January 2010

"Forward" sometimes means you have to go "Backwards" first

I am back! Why, I haven't written in so long, is beyond me. But I promise, this is going to be a weekly thing from now on.  I need to improve my blog writing skills...consistence, consistence, consist...
Actually this scripture just came to my mind: Matthew 5: 37 Let what you say be simply ‘Yes’ or ‘No’; anything more than this comes from evil. Maybe, I am taking that scripture out of context but I am learning about keeping promises these days.


Well, where was I? So, currently I am listening to this song which I love by Rick Pino, I have embedded the youtube link to the song, incase some of you want to listen to it: You're not alone.
I came home this weekend from college, to attend a birthday party of a former pastor friend of mine and so therefore I am now able to spend adequate time with my family.
Anyway, we just finished doing our daily bible study as a family, and my dad taught about "building character". He began reminding our family about the amazing (yet crazy things) God has brought us through, my father also shared with us how he could sense the way each situation has shaped and moulded my family and I. I can truly say that my FAMILY IS AWESOME, having been through tremendous financial hardships even up to the point of homelessness, that we learnt the true value of the "christian family".
During the bible study, I recalled one incident during our plight of homelessness in 2007. I had extremely important exams to take that week which would determine whether or not I would get into law school . We had nowhere to go, I was revising in the car and my paper was only a few days a way. The scripture says in Isaiah 53:1 " Who has believed our report? And to whom has the arm of the Lord been revealed?". In this passage, I do not believe this was rhetorical question so I am going to shout with glee: " I DO!". In line with the previous incident, I passed my exam with a 100% pass mark. Who would have believed that report???


I am going through a semi- difficult time at the moment. Actually, I would prefer to call it "the wilderness of a 21 year old Nigerian British girl" - sounds a lot more exotic .
You see, the things that I have had to encounter in my short yet sweet life, have some lined up with the scripture in Romans 8:28 - And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose. 
If you are reading this today and are not sure where you are in the wilderness and most importantly when you are going to get OUT of the wilderness. Don't worry, be anxious for nothing   and trust God. Because God is not like man that He should lie to us.
In relation to the title of today's blog, I learnt something profound the other day. God will sometimes allow us to go BACKWARD before we can  go forward. Think of slingshot. Before you shoot off the pebble, you have to stretch the slingshot backwards before it can propel the stone forward. And boy will that pebble fly, when it goes forward!
 That means, God will suddenly ask us to do something, therefore we get all geared and excited because " the blessing of the Lord maketh rich and addeth no sorrow" so, we step out in faith and then all of sudden we look around us. It's dry, looks like there is no way out, and what can hurt us the most, is that in the wilderness there is often isolation involved. I can testify to that right now. 
I don't know who I am speaking to right now, but maybe some of your friends have deserted you in the wilderness because there was an oasis elsewhere with "greener pastures" but you had to stay behind. Hold fast! I believe I am talking to myself also.
God's promises are true. It's in the wilderness that our character will form itself as we persevere. It's in this "no-go" area, that God begins the work of perfection in our lives. He will bring you out. 
Be patient and also enjoy being patient. 
It may look like you are being demoted, but your promotion is coming, He is equipping you for the calling He has set before you.


Let me give one more scripture then I will call it a night. I recently read, that God could have taken the Israelites to the Promise Land via the shorter route. When I read this, the first thing I asked God, as any other ignorant human being would do was... "WHAT DID YOU DO THAT FOR?!".  However, I saw quite clearly that God wanted to do two things a) Show them His glory even in the dry places b) Train their character and mature them for a higher calling because they were not ready to fight their enemies.
WOW! It was as if a light bulb went on in my head at that point. It is suddenly all clicking.
I know personally God showed me the calling on my life and I used to love to pray the following prayer "God use me, use me in Ministry".  Err...duh! Well God wants to use me, but He has a lot of moulding to do with me. So, I for one will try and not question His work in my life as He pulls me backward only to propel me forward.


Believe He is doing the same work for you!


Good night!

No comments: