Therefore if anyone is in Christ, [is like a butterfly] he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new

Wednesday 30 March 2011

My best friend's girlfriend

Have you ever really liked a guy but the guy didn't feel the same way about you? In fact the reason why he never felt the same way was purely because he sees you as the best friend and further, he is chasing after another girl. You end up feeling like Julia Roberts in my Best Friend's Wedding. Disheartening, I know. To make matters worse the girl he is chasing after isn't all that. Sure she is nice, caring, knows how to dress and looks good but she isn't you. You see, you know everything there is to know about your best guy friend. You know what makes him smile, what makes him tick. You know how he likes his eggs done and his favourite childhood toy. This guy knows it too. You are what they call “the go to gal”. Whenever he has a problem, you are there offering a shoulder to cry on and a plate of scrambled eggs to eat. When his girlfriend isn't living upto his expectations, guess who is the first person to hear about it? You guesed right. You are. Its all well and good but don't you wish he showed you a little affection just this once. I mean you don't want to just be his childhood friend from nursery. You secretly hope that he will one day take you out on a romantic dinner for two too...Nandos. Sorry but because some of us student readers, are on a budget Nandos was my best bet. Why can't he see that you can offer him so much more than his girlfriend? Your not there just to sort out his problem. You want a relationship.






This is hitting home, huh? Reading over the above scenario really just made me realise that this is how I have been treating God. God has been my “go to man” whenever my worldy desires were not cutting it. God is more than happy to be there for us in time of need and listen to us go on and on about our difficult essays, difficuly boyfriends, husbands and he has dettol and a bandage to clean up your wounds. Yet God aches for a relationship with his people. Not a casual one but intimate and loving. In Exodus 34:14 (msg) it states:
 Don't worship any other god. God-his name is The-Jealous-One-is a jealous God.
Whenever I begin to run after things outside God's perfect will for me, I cause jealousy. None of us consciously do it but we do it. From now on I'm going to begin asking the Holy Spirit for guidance in terms of actively pursuing a relationship with God. God does pick up our mess but doesn't the King of the Universe deserve so much more than whining and complaining? He does.

1 John 4:15 Everyone who confesses that Jesus is God's Son participates continuously in an intimate relationship with God.

1 comment:

Merana Leigh said...

Wonderful post, as always! I, too, want to maintain a "relationship" with God...not me constantly going to Him with my laundry list of wants, needs, please do this, help me with that. I want to just go sit in His presence...and behold the comfortable silence. Hugs ~ Merana