Therefore if anyone is in Christ, [is like a butterfly] he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new

Thursday 24 June 2010

Summer in Savannah (2)... Southern Cooking


Right, if I am going to keep an accurate record of my time in Savannah, then I need to start labeling my posts accuratly. Hence from now on every post will be titled Summer in Savannah.

I have a little time to spare before heading back into the courtroom so I thought I should share how this past week has been. Last week, I joined a small group or rather a 'Life Group' at the Savannah Christian Church and I met an amazing group of people that night. Since then I have been swing dancing with a couple of the girls and I went to this martini bar thing in downtown Savannah...called Saya Lounge. Please note if you are looking to go dancing and meet lots of people Saya is not the place to go.  Sorry but it did not live upto it's popularity status. Also I went line dancing for the first time ever with somebody from work, so yes I am definetly in the dirty South.




What do I like best about being here? COUNTRY COOKING! I love everything from sweet potatoe (or sweet patayta) pie  to peach cobbler. Country cooking tops esspecially down here in ol' Savannah. 
Embarrasing but true: I have officially subscribed to Southern Living, I just love the recipes they put in there.
I am a true GA peach at heart, I have no idea where my southern roots came from but I got 'em.





I do question my Southerness however as the British in me still rises, as I detest Sweet Tea with a passion. Like I feel Sweet Tea is a huge insult to milky britsh hot tea with two sugars. Ugh!
Nevertheless they love it over here...I just can't drink it though.


 Ok to my fellow Brits here is a recipe that I am going to try and make here. So, be prepared we are going to eat it when I come home. It's called Lemondade Pie. Yes! Frozen Lemonade Pie...isn't that so American.


It should be interesting though.


I am really having a great time down here. The internship is self is very informative and rewarding also. I'm still trying to adjust to the seriousness of some of these cases but I know with God's help I will be o.k. and I need not fear. I've felt a little nervous because as of next week I have to start investigating child abuse cases and making my recommendations to the judge during court hearings. However, I am so happy to be here and it is definetly life changing.

Prayer request: Please keep in prayers all the juvenile deliquents that are locked up in detention centers for crimes they committed. It is heartbreaking seeing a child of 11 years old in an orange jumpsuit, with shackles round his feet and his hands handcuffed. Seriously pray for them and their families. For the enemy desires to sift them like wheat.

In Christ
Chizor

1 comment:

Merana Leigh said...

Frozen Lemondade Pie just sounds entirely TOOOO good. I gotta have that recipe!

Can't wait to read the rest of your blog, but I gotta run so I can make it to the movie in time. I susupect we'll become fast friends! (altho' I'm a Southern Belle by birth who LOVES Carolina Sweet Tea! LOL! - and even tho' I no longer live in the South. My cousin calls me a "damn Yankee", but I tell him to shush it coz I still live south of the Mason-Dixon Line!)

Hugs ~ Merana