Therefore if anyone is in Christ, [is like a butterfly] he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new

Wednesday 11 May 2011

It's good but not GOD- last thoughts for finalist students.



Less than a month to go until my Law degree comes to an end. Seriously, everytime I look at the calendar I feel like slapping myself to see if this is reality or just a dream. Three years went by so quickly.
Anyway readers, I know some of you have been asking about Butterfly & Pearls and why I haven't posted in awhile. To be honest, I have been so incredibly busy with essays, final dissertation and exams that if I'm not studying I am sleeping. Sad, I know.

Well, all this final year madness has really caused me to think about the past three years at Uni. It is as though I get these flashbacks in my mind of incidents, (usually painful ones) of my time here at University. One in particular, was a day I sat in my Pastor's office on my gap year and I felt so confused about whether or not I was called to pursue Law or not. I had opinions all around me telling me that University just wasn't for me and God didn't not need my education to use me. I'm not slating those who advised me because I know they all had good intentions but just because they were good, they were not necessarily GOD.  I rememeber actually being told that I was going to get married and be in children ministry and my husband will be a youth pastor- no university degree required.  Hearing this news just didn't settle right in my spirit.  I knew the calling was a great one but I just knew that God didn't want this for me. That was a calling for somebody else - not me.  Further to this, God placed me at Sussex and slowly began to painfully tear me away from this presumption of "pastor's wife", looking back I'm glad He did it. I'm not going to go into detail on here just yet about the journey God took me on for two reasons a) I want to save this for my graduation article and finally b) I'm just too tired.
However, I do want to leave you with this: As many of us are going to go our seperate ways come June, you may be faced with so many decisions, so many voices, so many opportunities that you just don't know which one to choose. Perhaps, there is this amazing missionary job in Pakistan awaiting for you but somehow there is a tugging in your heart to join that Magic Circle law firm in Central London. Which one appears more like a "God thing" to you. Yes, I would have quickly jumped on the Pakistan bandwagon as well but in reality God may want you to bring something unique right in the heart of London. Or perhaps its the other way round and you really feel God wants you to be in Law but rather He has plans for you elsewhere. Just because it looks good, it doesn't mean it is actually God. I am certaintly advising myself here and I hope I learn some valuable lessons these next few months.
When you are not sure about life, just keep on going and trusting God because His Word says thus : "Whether you turn to the right or the left , your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying "This is the way; walk in it." Isaiah 30:12

No comments: